|published Friday, September 09, 2011 ||1163 Views :: 0 Comments |
|Sept. 9, 2011|The Western Governors' Association (WGA) has compiled a white paper on nuclear waste transportation and storage. This white paper will be presented at the Sept. 13th Blue Ribbon Commission on America's Nuclear Future meeting in Denver, Co.
Highlights from the WGA white paper include:
- Calling for a comprehensive approach to the interrelated issues of nuclear waste transportation, storage, and disposal.
- Calling for a deliberative and consensual siting process that uses "staged adaptation" process.
- Stating that it would be appropriate to use Nuclear Waste Fund money to ensure robust public participation in planning a national nuclear waste repository.
- Supporting "on-site" or "near-site" interim storage, which would keep waste near the point of origin until the DOE opens a permanent repository.
- Cross-country transportation should be minimized until a permanent repository is operational
- Recommending that public oversight throughout the siting, licensing, and implementation processes.
Click here to download the WGA letter as a PDF Click here to learn more about upcoming Blue Ribbon Commission meetings and how to participate
Currently, there are no comments. Be the first to post one!
You must be logged in to post a comment. You can login here